Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Joe Perry & sons at the Hard Rock Cafe in Boston 2/29/08

To sum it up quite simply: one of the fucking best concerts I have ever been to!

After seeing Joe and Aerosmith close to 90 times at this point, it is easy for me to be apathetic about them and be less than enthusiastic about some of their gigs. But this is not one of those times at all.

Aside from three songs by his sons' band, TAB the Band, the rest of the set was pretty much all Joe Perry and Aerosmith songs (as you can see, I was a little excited about some of the songs while I was taking notes, lol):

Roadrunner!!
Walkin' The Dog!!
Hold On Me
South Station Blues!!!!
Chip Away The Stone!!!!!!!
Stop Messin'
10 Years
The Continental (a TAB song)
Bright Light Fright!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Secretary Day (TAB...really good!)
Red House!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Talk Talkin'
CYT (TAB...also good!)
Combination!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Let The Music Do The Talking (the old JPP version!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

encore:
Helter Skelter!!!!!
Shakin' My Cage


WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JOE FUCKING PERRY as a frontman the whole night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was about five feet away from him the whole time. See, I'm smart (lol) so I know that when AD/DC music starts playing, Joe is coming out soon. So while everyone else was all lingering and mingling I knew when to pick a spot on the floor directly in front of the Clint Eastwood of Rock and Roll (I saw that line used to describe Joe in a magazine about 20+ years ago and I liked it). Kill me now so I can die happy.

Before the show for quite some time I was standing right next to a couple of hot chicks who were with a kid who almost looked out of place there. I couldn't put my finger on it - maybe a little too young compared to everyone else? Dressed too well for a crowd like that? I don't know what it was, but he definitely stood out when I saw him. It turns out that kid was Tony Perry. I had no idea who he was until he got up on stage with a guitar. He is a really good player. Neither he or his brother in the band look at all like Joe - his brother sort of reminded me of Artie Lange a little. There was a roadie who looked more like Joe than either of the kids in the band (maybe the roadie is related? He really could be. I don't know).

One of the bartenders made KILLER Wabo-ritas...exactly the way they're made at the Cabo Wabo. So I hung out for another drink after the show and another roadie gave me the set list off one of the speakers. :)






I took a bunch of pics with my phone...I wish I brought a real camera. :(










Oh yeah, it was a WAAF radio event and I was wearing an Opie & Anthony ballcap. Ooops, LOL. Every time I saw a camera light go on, I just happened to get into the background of the shot :D and when I was walking out of the bathroom the WAAF morning guy walked right past me, saw the cap, and literally stopped in his tracks. It cracked me up.

No comments: